By entering Modeconnect’s International Fashion Writing Competition (the “Competition”) you, the Candidate, agree to be bound by the following Terms & Conditions:
1. The Competition has two rounds. Round 1 opens on Monday January 6, 2014 and closes at midnight GMT on Friday February 21, 2014. Round 2 opens on Friday February 28, 2014 and closes at midnight GMT on Friday April 4, 2014. Entries will not be accepted outside of those dates. Entries are limited to one per person consisting of one text and up to five visuals. Entries which are not in accordance with these Terms and Conditions can be invalidated at any time even after the Candidate has been shortlisted for Round 2 or has been awarded a Prize.
2. Entries must abide by laws and regulations. Entries must not infringe any third party’s right, personal data or intellectual property inclusive of third party trademarks, images and/or copyright. Entries comprising of anything which is obscene or vulgar, abusive, harmful, threatening, libellous, defamatory, invasive, profane or otherwise unlawful shall be deemed to be invalid.
3. No Fee will be charged nor is purchase of any kind necessary to enter into this Competition.
4. Employees of Modeconnect, The Woolmark Company, Polly King & Co and Laurence King Publishing and their families, as those who have already contributed to Modeconnect are not eligible to enter this competition. The Competition is open to anyone else born between May 1, 1986 and May 1, 1996, who writes in English and is in a position to travel to London in the summer 2014.
5. We recommend that Candidates carefully consider the Competition Brief available on modeconnect.com before submitting their Entries. In order to enter into the Competition Round 1, Candidates must:
a. write their article in accordance with the Competition Brief for Round 1;
b. register their details and submit their article and up to five images for Round 1 between Monday January 6, 2014 and closes at midnight GMT on Friday February 21, 2014 through Modeconnect’s International Fashion Writing Competition Entry Form to be found on Modeconnect.com.
Entrants will be informed by e-mail on Friday February 28, 2014, whether they have been shortlisted for Round 2 or not. Candidates shortlisted for the Round 2 must then:
a. write their articles in accordance with the Competition Brief for Round 2;
b. submit their article and up to five images for Round 2 between Friday February 28, 2014 and Friday April 4, 2014 at midnight GMT. This should be done by answering the e-mail that informed them they have been shortlisted for Round 2.
6. Only Entries in the correct format will be considered. Text must be submitted as a Microsoft Word document. All images and visuals must be submitted in a JPEG, TIFF or PNG format and at least 72 dpi and 1040 pixels wide. Entries to Round 1 must be done through Modeconnect’s International Fashion Writing Competition Entry Form to be found on Modeconnect.com.
7. Results for Round 1 will be announced on Friday February 28, 2014. Results for Round 2 and the final winners will be announced Tuesday April 15, 2014. Modeconnect decision cannot be challenged but may be revoked if any article of the Terms and Conditions has been broken.
8. Based on their age on May 1, 2014 Candidates will compete in one of two categories: 18 to 21, and 22 to 27 inclusive.
9. Round 1 of the Competition will be judged by Modeconnect editorial team. Round 2 of the Competition will be judge by a jury including: Address (Grace Eagles and Johannes Reponen), Mark Atkinson, Professor Catherine Harper and João Paulo Nunes. The final award will be based on both pieces submitted for Round 1 and Round 2.
10. There will be a total of six winners and six prizes (the “Prizes”), three for each of the two categories 18 to 21 and, 22 to 27.
a. The third price is be a 100£ e-voucher to spend on www.laurenceking.com.
b. The second prize is a one day invitation to attend Polly King Salon during one of the four SS 2015 Fashion Week in New-York, Tokyo, London or Paris, a unique opportunity to see and experience first-hand the SS 2015 collections of Polly King prestigious stable of designers.
c. The first prize is a five weeks Writing Residency at Modeconnect in London, UK (the “Residency”). Modeconnect will provide free independent studio accommodation in Central London, close to its office. Expenses incurred to travel to London or any other daily expenses such as food etc. will not be covered. The winning Candidates (the Residents) are responsible to organise and obtain the proper legal documentation to travel to London. During this Residency the winner will also have the opportunity to interview one of London established Fashion Designer partner of The Woolmark Company.
11. By accepting the first Prize, the winners commit to attend the five week Residency and to travel to London at their expense. They also commit to attend events as organized by Modeconnect and work on their writing at least four days a week (9am to 5pm). They hereby grant Modeconnect a non-exclusive, irrevocable, right to publish on Modeconnect.com any content, text or images they produced during the Residency.
The 18 to 21 Residency will take place between Friday May 30 and Saturday July 5, 2014 and will cover both Graduate Fashion Week and the New Designers.
The 23 or older Residency will take place between August 17 and September 21, 2014 and cover London Fashion Week.
12. Modeconnect will contact the winners with further details and advise on how to claim the Prize after announcement of the Competition results.
13. Modeconnect, The Woolmark Company, Polly King & Co, Laurence King Publishing and any other company, organisation or person connected with the Competition will not be liable for any claims or complaints of any nature in respect to the Prizes or to the Entries, to the fullest extent that this is permissible by law. In particular Modeconnect, The Woolmark Company, Polly King & Co, Laurence King Publishing and any other company, organisation or person connected with the Competition will not be liable for any expenses incurred by the Candidates, whether awarded a Prize or not. In no circumstances can Prizes awarded be substituted for cash value.
14. Entries must not infringe the intellectual property rights of any third party. By submitting an Entry, Candidates warranty that they have written the text submitted and that they are its sole author. This text should not be corrected, edited or modified in any way by a third party. When choosing to take part in this competition, candidates give Modeconnect a non-exclusive, irrevocable, right to publish the text they submit.
Candidates also warranty that the necessary consents, licences and other such authorisations from any third party (including without limitation any models or members of the public) that may claim any right to the visuals submitted have been cleared by them for a non-exclusive publication by Modeconnect.
15. Modeconnect reserves the right to edit to a reasonable extent, any Entry it chooses to publish. The author will be consulted; however the final decision will be at the sole discretion of Modeconnect.
16. Candidates awarded one of the six Prizes, hereby grant Modeconnect and The Woolmark Company a non-exclusive, irrevocable, worldwide licence to use their Entry in all media for the purposes of:
a. administering, marketing and promoting this Competition;
b. marketing and promoting future competitions held by Modeconnect
c. marketing and promoting Modeconnect or The Woolmark Company (collectively, “Marketing and Promotional Purposes”).
17. Modeconnect will give credit to the Candidates in any publication of their Entry, so will the rightful owners of those visuals that have been submitted if published alongside the text. Their names may also appear on Entries reproduced for Marketing and Promotional Purposes.
18. Modeconnect reserves the right to withdraw or amend the Competition and these Terms and Conditions in the event of any unforeseen circumstances outside of its reasonable control or if in its absolute discretion, considers it necessary.
19. The Prizes may be altered or varied at the sole discretion of Modeconnect and substituted with a prize which, in the sole opinion of Modeconnect, is a suitable alternative.
20. Personal Information provided when entering the Competition will be stored in a database for the purpose of managing the Competition. This information will not be used for any other purpose. If you have separately agreed to receive communications from Modeconnect, then your personal data may be used by them for such purposes. Any personal data that you provide to Modeconnect will be held and processed in accordance with the requirements of the 1998 Data Protection Act.
In particular Modeconnect does not warrant that the Website will be uninterrupted, timely, secure or error-free, or that the server that makes it available is free of software viruses or other defects.
22. The Promoter of this Competition is Pierre Delarue, firstname.lastname@example.org, for Modeconnect, 23 Penn Road, London N7 9 RD, UK